another multi-user "solution"?

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Mon Apr 25 16:20:11 EDT 2005

RC wrote:

> Question:
>
> How do changes on individual cards in different copies of a stack in
> each
> user's RAM get made to the copy resident on disk?  There is not, to my
> knowledge, a way to save changes on one card of a stack without
> overwriting
> the entire stack.  So if I open a stack before you, Jacque, and Kurt
> do,
> wait until you all close the stack, and then save it, the only changes
> the original stack will be mine.

Kurt:
I'm actually concerned about two things here.
The first is that the single (standalone) stack being used now contains
about 900 record cards, and is about 13 MB in size.  I'm concerned that
it might gradually become unwieldy during saves.  It already takes an
unacceptable amount of time to save over the Windows network.  I'd also
rather separate the app and the data so that if something goes wrong,
the data is still relatively easily accessible.

The second is that by dividing the records, the only restrictions are
that no more than one user can work on a single record at a time, all
the others being available. I initially thought that the individual
records could be stacks, but ended up using text files instead for the
ability to manually edit if needed.  I've got it working (with "busy"
marker files); now I have to test it on the real network (as opposed to
my Mac with VPC at home).

I will keep in mind the folder limits of the OS (in this case Win XP
Pro):
-Appears to be 65,534 [combined folders/files] per folder on FAT32; and
4,294,967,295 per volume [no folder limit specified] on NTFS; however
the practical limits would be slightly lower ;-)

-Kurt