Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer" ?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 1 12:55:06 EDT 2004

The difference is that flight instruction is a structured learning
environment with literally one-on-one instruction from the CFI
(certificated flight instructor).

A newbie to Dreamcard has to learn their way around the interface, get
a handle on the concept of stack/card/object and THEN try to use the
tool.  To be fair, I have not yet tried the video tutorials (except for
the first) but unless I miss my guess, while you are watching the
videos and trying to absorb what they are teaching, your 10 hour time
clock is ticking away.  You need time for the concepts to sink in
before you can begin trying to apply them.  Heck, since the only way to
access the online dox is to have the IDE running, you can't even print
up a getting started manual to look through offline without eating into
your precious 10 hours.

Back to the flight school analogy:   Try leaving the student pilot with
his ground school manuals, Microsoft Flight Simulator and an airplane.
Then tell him he has 10 hours to learn to fly the sucker. Can he do it?
Sure, if he's Chuck Yeager. Mere mortals with real jobs and real family
distractions, maybe not.