Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 12:08:04 EDT 2004

--- Kirk McElhearn <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On 9/1/04 5:27 PM, "Troy Rollins"
> <troy at rpsystems.net> wrote:
>

> > For DreamCard, we're talking about a *very*
> inexpensive authoring
> > environment in comparison to everything else that
> is out there. It
> > should be a pretty easy decision after 10 hours of
> use, especially with
> > RevOnline to get you up-to-speed.
>
> Inexpensive, perhaps. But the paucity of the
> documentation (not the
> reference doc, but introductory doc) makes you lean
> toward more than the
> basic - while the program is $99, if you buy the
> "package" with the book and
> access to additional tutorials (the content of which
> is nowhere to be
> found), then pony up to pay for a year's upgrades,
> it's more than twice
> that. I'm thinking twice because of the difference
> between the "basic"
> program and what I'd need to be able to really use
> it.
>

> Kirk

Hi Kirk,

<sarcasm> Your reply makes me wonder how we ever got
by using Revolution 1.0 and higher : separate printed
manuals, no book from Dan Shafer, and no RevOnline
video tutorials. </sarcasm>

The truth of the matter is that the built-in
documentation covers everything you need to know.
Having those 4000+ pages printed out as several tomes
can be nice for browsing while you're sitting in a
comfortble chair, but the new viewer is more than
adequate, at least for me.

The included video tutorials that you can view in
RevOnline walk you through the basics and show you
where you need to click, how to use the IDE.
Plus, you also get them in PDF format so you can print
them and read them in yur comfortble chair.
The advanced videos cover topics you may never touch
in your use of the product.

Finally, if you feel you need an extra bit of help
from Dan Shafer, his book is an excellent choice, as
it is written in a very direct "let's do this" style
and will give you lots of pointers.
But he has to make a living as well.

This mailing list provides you wih advice from peers ;
we are all users of Revolution and for nearly every
question you'll find someone willing to try and come
up with an answer -- though we can't make your
application for you, of course.

All in all you get a pretty sweet deal for $99 : a
programming tool that used to sell for $999.
With regards to the yearly subscription fee, let me
give you an example that shows how this works to your
advantage :
- if you had bought Revolution 2.1 with an upgrade
pack on September 1 last year, you would have received
the upgrade to 2.2 and 2.5 as part of the deal.
- this means you would have gotten native WinXP &
MacOSX Panther appearance, enhanced database linked
controls, native Linux/GTK appearance, the XML-RPC
library, encryption support, and so many other
features.

If I were you, I'd grab the plastic and place the
order before Kevin Miller changes his mind about the
pricing, as it is a very very nice deal.

Jan Schenkel.

=====