unicode menus

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Fri Oct 22 00:53:06 EDT 2004

Hi Kenji,

1. Thanks for you suggestion. I was unclear what was becoming mojibake
(junk). It is not the menu name but the contents of the menu. It
consistently corrupts itself, even after I set it to the unicodetext of
a fld, as Tuviah suggested. I am still working on this problem, it
appears to affect only the file and edit menus. The others maintain
their items.

2. Encouraged by Tuivah, I kept trying multiple cascading menus and
they can be done, my problem was with a particular character. The
Japanese char. for 'color' - iro - would not show up in a menu for
formating text. The menu has 4 items: font, size, style, color all in
Japanese. They are all cascading. The last menuitem does not show up
unless I change it to 'textcolor' or something. This is only a problem
when it is put in the menubar of OS X, not as a btn on the card. Can
you confirm this?

3. The menupick is returned as a unicode string, but it does not get
caught by the switch statement in the script of the menu.
How do I evaluate the menupick with unicode?

Thanks
Ron