Finding the current folder ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Oct 22 07:10:48 EDT 2004

At 10:54 22/10/2004 +0200, Klaus Major wrote:

>Hi Gordon and Alex,
>
>>Sure enough Alex!
>>
>>>Thanks for the suggestion, but that has the same problem, as does "the
>>>effective filename of this stack"
>>>I've put a small stack on revonline (user alextweedly, stack "check
>>>folder info") should anyone want to try it without re-typing.
>>I have just finished trying all sorts of things and none of them
>>worked!  I experimented also running the same stack in secure mode and
>>not in secure mode - it made no difference.  A definite bug I would say!
>
>I don't think this is a bug!
>
>A freshly downloaded stack does ONLY "live" in memory, and has
>not a "filename" yet!
>
>And therefore has no "home" (directory)...

Right. That's not the main problem here ....

>1. Download this to dreamcard player and run it - problem happens.
>2. Download it to Revolution (or even to Dreamcard itself, not the player)
>and run it - same problem.
>3. Save the stack to a file and run again - works as expected.
>4. copy the stack to a folder and run in the Rev/Dreamcard - works as expected
>5. copy the stack to a folder and run in the Player - problem happens

1 and 2 are the case you described - a surprise to me, but understandable.
5 is the problem. Even if the stack DOES live in a file, running it in the
player produces the same result of having no "home" directory.

>Internet urls are not "respected" when you try to "get the filename of
>this stack",
>only local urls...
>
>In that case i would suggest to simply check "the directory" to get
>the current ehm... directory :-)

Um - no, that's not what I need. That gives you the current folder, so by
default -
(A)  in the IDE - directory where Revolution (or in my case Dreamcard) is
installed
(B)  in a standalone app - directory the stack lives in
(C)  in Dreamcard Player - directory the Player is installed in.

So it is no help with getting the directory the stack is living in; and
therefore no help in getting the location of the files I need to read/write.

Up till now, I've solved the difference between (A) and (B) using the
technique I've seen in many stacks - either the long name of the stack or
the filename of the stack - but neither of these works when in the Player.

-- Alex.