Unicode and Menus

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Thu Oct 21 09:46:58 EDT 2004

Greetings

First, let me say RR has come a long way in implementing unicode.
However,

I have spent 3 long days working with unicode menus. I have tried to
set them from the menu builder, from the properties palette and from
script.

I cannot make cascading menus. Not with a tab character, not with a
uniencoded tab character.

The Edit and File menus are not friendly to localization. Meaning, the
last 2 items are not always deleted and moved to the proper place in OS
X.

The divider symbol of "-" seems to cause problems, especially but not
exclusively with the File and Edit menus.

The menubuilder only previews the first 3 menus in the menu for OS X.

After setting the text of the Edit or File menu, it often corrupts
itself and puts all the items on one line.

Okay, I've vented some frustration. I realize that I need a repeatable
recipe and then bugzilla. (My recipe recommendation is simply to try to
use unicode in the menus and you will soon run into these problems.)
But I am asking at this point for help from any of you who have
actually used unicode extensively in menus. Please don't write and say
it "works for me". I need some help in working around the remaining
limitations and would appreciate your input.

1. How did you make cascading menus in unicode?
2. How did you handle the File/Edit menus in unicode in OS X?

Thanks for your help,
Ron