Going to cards very slow

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Oct 5 20:24:18 EDT 2004

Here's a weird problem a friend encountered which has me stumped.
Hopefully someone here will have the answer.

He has a 400 card stack and going to a card takes about 7 seconds,
whether this is from another stack or just moving to the next card
within the stack. I assumed he had lots of message handlers getting in
the way, so I locked messages before going to the card. This worked
fine and the navigation happened instantly as expected.

Now I wanted to find out what was causing the slowdown, so I removed
the "lock messages" line and turned on the Message Watcher. At first, I
had it suppressing unhandled messages and the only thing it showed was
the mouseUp that triggered the "go to card ...". When I turned off
suppress unhandled messages, the culprit was a seemingly endless stream
of cRevGeneral messages. (I hit command-period after about a minute.)

As this is a property set rather than a handler, I assume there is some
vast amount of data being set somewhere. The cards are already set up
and no data is collected or altered in anyway on opening. They consist
of several fields, mostly hidden initially. The biggest field doesn't
have many lines of data (about 20 - 30) but the data is arranged in
columns with different colors for different chunks of the text.

Does anyone have any ideas? He is happy because the lock messages trick
is working, but I would prefer to know why it is necessary.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/