HyperCard finally put to rest..

Jim Witte jswitte at bloomington.in.us
Wed Mar 31 17:02:16 EST 2004

> If this is how Apple retires a product like HyperCard they missed a
> golden opportunity.  Rather than slinking away into the night they
> could have turned it into an opportunity to endorse a logical
> successor.

   Here, here.  Remember what Amelio supposedly implied - that if Apple
hasn't dropped HC, that the WWW today would be based on HC..  I myself
would have preferred WWW being based on a combination on HC and
NewtonScript/NewtonBooks, but that's the past [or an alternate
universe, if you believe the Everett interpretation of QM ;-)

   IMO, Apple should have implemented HC directly into the OS, with
application control support built in.  If Apple had done this, they
would have had "Desktop Programming" (something even simpler than
Applescript Studio, which requires xCode after all - it isn't
integrated into the Finder), Apple Events, QuicKeys-like functionality,
and God-knows what else, *years* before now, and years before MS even
had any idea close (they don't now though they *might* for Longhorn..).

   Oh, the chances Apple had to "rule the computing world"..

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Jim Witte