Documentations Biggest Flaw

Dave Calkins davecalk at surfbest.net
Thu Mar 25 19:25:19 EST 2004

>> Exactly thats the point I was talking about on this list since it has
>> started. Finally I gave up. Thanks that you Dave came up and explained
>> it much better than i could. But, how du you think you (we) can get
>> this
>> in to the head of verbal, left brain, digital and sequential working
>> heads of a programmer?

I am encouraged by Kevin's response, they see the need and hopefully
are making the necessary changes.

> As Paul Looney observed at last night's RUG-LA meeting, the
> documentation is nearly completely devoid of screen shots.
>
> Paul's own manual for his IT Works product provides an inspiring
> contrast:  hardly a page doesn't include at least once screen shot,
> often more, so readers can more easily grasp context than would be
> possible with text descriptions alone.
>
> I believe Paul's point applies to all types of learners:  even the most
> verbally-inclined learner will also respond measurably well to
> illustrations.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Media Corporation

To reinforce this point, everyone will benefit from adding the visual
cues which the Visual learner needs to process the information. As I
shared earlier, people are not just one type of learner, all visual,
all verbal, or all kinesthetic, but are a mix of learning types with a
predominate preference.

Those that are predominately classified as a visual learners also take
information in and can process it through reading. The learning is
reinforced and ingrained as they practice the skills as a kinesthetic
does.

The verbal person gains knowledge more quickly because he can see the
icon being discussed, by seeing the screen shot as it used in context
with the text, by practicing it as he goes through the tutorial.

The kinesthetic person also learns much more quickly by having the
visual cues as well as the textual information at hand.

Everyone gains by having a well rounded presentation of the
information. Everyone loses if the documentation is not aimed at or
geared towards each type of learner. The more that they integrate all
three ways of presenting the information, the easier it will be for
every person to digest and incorporate the concepts.

Hopefully from Kevin's posting, I think that the rev team finally
understands the problem. Only time and future releases will tell how
well they implement and correct the deficiency. Any steps that they
take in this direction will likely to be positive.

Dave Calkins