Select question

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Tue Mar 23 03:23:22 EST 2004

On 3/23/04 4:21 PM, "HyperChris at aol.com" <HyperChris at aol.com> wrote:

> Sender: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com
>
> So you are allowing your user to resize the field by switching to the Select
> tool but yet you want the text editing behavior of the Browse tool when the
> user clicks in the field?

Yes!

> Hmmmm ... usually when folks want the user to have
> control over field sizing, they stay in the browse mode and use mouse and
> click
> controls to trigger the drag sizing of the field. I tried it your way, though,
> and it works! I just created mouseEnter and mouseLeave handlers to switch
> between the tools.

That happens to be exactly what I am testing right now! One nice thing about
using mouseEnter and mouseLeave is that it seems more "interactive". You can
hilite the selected object while moving the mouse without waiting for a
mouse click.

> The only odd part was being able to sneak up on a text
> field
> and select it for moving or sizing before it switched me to browse for
> editing.
> I did get that to work, though, by increasing the border width and then
> modifiying the mouse traps to allow for it's thickness before making the
> switch.
>
> Is that what you meant ?

Yes, pretty much. I stupidly programmed myself into somewhat of a corner
though where I am use a mouseMove handler to constantly set the current
tool. But I'll just uncorner myself somehow. :)

doug