A few questions

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Mar 20 02:16:19 EST 2004

Hi Richard,

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:02:49 -0800
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> Subject: Re: A few questions
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>

>> 2) I will have to deal with stacks in another Mac and a Windows PC before
>> they might be finished. Since neither machine will have the IDE aboard, and
>> because the filepaths will be different than in the dev Mac, I need to make
>> a simple Rev Player. Just a stack with a startup memory error dialog (Main
>> stack/engine), some icons, and a launch window. Is that OK? Is that how to
>> do it?
>
> That's how I do it, all the way down to the error dialog as mainstack.
>
> To resolve differences between OS X and Classic/Win/Linux, I often use
> this function to obtain paths to external stack files:
------------
Thanks. I'll take your ad vice. How do you set up your startup memory error
dialog?
------------
> To resolve differences between OS X and Classic/Win/Linux, I often use
> this function to obtain paths to external stack files:

> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/metacard/2002-September/002553.html>
------------
Thanks again...I'll look it over in the morning.
------------

*******Next*******

Hi, Klaus.

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:32:35 +0100
> From: Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de>
> Subject: Re: A few questions

> ???
> What do you mean by "startup memory error dialog"?
-----------
This was Richard's suggestion from awhile back, and I agree with it.

In this example I will be running test stacks on Windows XP Pro and Mac OS
9.2.1 for filepath continuity. This is a metamap setup with one large (3' x
4' SJ Island County) scrolling Map image in a 360 x 480 group, and a 360 x
480 small JPEG map scaled (in PS) to fit, with a proportional rectangle
remote viewbox to scroll the big map.

The thing takes quite a chunk of memory to operate itself, especially in the
IDE. Consequently, my player will need a chunk of memory. Launching the
stack file will cause the engine (my player) to load. There is a chance that
dynamic memory grabbed by the MetaCard engine could demand more than the
system can handle, and I would rather catch the error before the player
tries to load any further and just quits. So the dialog is really an anchor
for the mini player UI (simple stack launcher).

Plus, I should also put in code to fire the memory error dialog somewhere in
the launch sequence, in case the metamap file is too large to open when the
Main stack (player) is _already_ open.