Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sun Mar 14 15:06:59 EST 2004

Moin, Dar,

> Are you suggesting that there be versions branch for every upgrade, that
> is, that bugs found for 9.1.1 be fixed even after the company has
> released 10.0.0?

I am afraid this is leading into a dead cycle.

I am not "Runrev". I cannot tell Runrev how to handle their versioning.
All I can say is that it is "common" in the software market (at least
that part that I know) to fix bugs in "actual versions" and not leaving
customers alone in the dark by simply pushing a version number up,
urging them (the customers) to buy an upgrade where they (still the
customers) only need a bugfix ("update"). Even the most-hated company
Microsoft is supporting "ancient" versions of their software according
to its lifetime definitions. I am NOT INTERESTED in version numbers at
all! I can even live with many ways how to NAME a version.

If your question should not be meant towards the NAMING but the SUPPORT:
Yes, I expect a company to do its best to support recent versions
according to their version lifetime policy. I do expect a company to
make it perfectly clear that you have to FREQUENTLY pay a specific
amount of money to be allowed to receive BUGFIXES, if this is the policy
of the company. If it is not, I expect the company to support
V9.7.4.1.88.24.1.29 of their product even if they have just released
V10.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.releasecandidate. Again: It is not the NAMING I am
interested in. It is simply partnership. As a developer I intend to
concentrate on MY products, not on the products I use to develop them.
If a product I use to develop my own stuff is faulty, I expect the
supplier of that tool to help - otherwise I would fall back to using
pirated copies (which I have given up many many years ago).

Once again I have to explain that I do not intend to criticise (sp?)
anyone (including Runrev), I was simply puzzled by some remarks on this
list. And naturally, if I find the will to get used to Transcript and if
I find bugs that need to be fixed, I will try my best to help Runrev to
fix the bugs. AND I do expect free updates that fix the bugs I helped
pointing out - of course. I really hope this is not taken as an offence!

Sorry for having been so long again. I really find it hard to explain my
  basic understanding of the development universe :-) I am not alone
with this understanding of how the world is spinning - if I was I would
simply shut up, watch the list and giggle where necessary. But there
should be a difference between "Open Source puzzle your own stuff and
leave us alone" projects and commercial partnerships. I am paying for a
tool. If the tool is faulty, I expect it to be repaired FOR FREE. If I
need an UPGRADE (a tool with more bells and whistles) I am going to pay
for that as well. But I am not going to pay for the hammer head, if I
have bought a hammer and find out it does not come with a head.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / Level-2
Glinder Str. 2