Fix it before moving ahead

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Mar 12 06:35:46 EST 2004

Hi all,

please excuse me if i may get a bit cynical, but i cannot stand these
lame excuses anymore...

Actually since a long time, but this mail forced me to respond.

Am 11.03.2004 um 22:54 schrieb Kevin Miller:

> We have included some bug fixes for 2.2 and scheduled the majority of
> the
> rest of the database for 2.3.  The situation will continue to improve.

> We have limited resources, this is what we can deliver just now.

This one is really great!

I think i am gonna make a printout of that sentence, frame it and
put it on my wall...

And everytime my customers, who paid good money for my software,
want to have some bugs removed, i will point to my wall...

Hmmm, i'm sure they will show a lot of sympathy...

There are some real showstoppers, and some of them, although in Bugzilla
for a couple of months, are still marked as "new" or "uncovered"!

And i don't mean feature requests, MY bugs or IDE bugs

Example:
Umlauts, accented chars (like used A LOT in frech!) etc...
still cause serious (sic!) trouble on OS X...

And most of the folks at RR use OS X...
And they even have a french version of their website...
And they are (were?) considering a french version of RR...

"Bugzilla" is still not 100% compatible with "Safari" (or vice versa?)!

If there was not the fantastic "RevZilla" by Ken Ray (Hooray for Mr.
Ray!!! :-)
OS X users like me (who don't want to install another browser, why
should we?)
would not be able to report bugs at all...

I am a long time MetaCard/Rev user and have been watching this list
very carefully
in the last years...

There have been some critical voices here on the list, but most of them
were kinda
"shouted down" (not literally) by other users like:

They (RunRev) are a young and new company...
They are willing...
They have a hard time right now...
They have limited resources...
They are doing the best they can...
Be patient and show a BIT sympathy...
etc...

That may apply to the pseudo-business of your "cousin", but this is
free market economy!!!

Don't get me wrong!
MC/RR is still my favourite application and helps me pay my rent!

But please just stop lamenting, RunRev.
Do something and TALK about it.
There is definitively an information-deficiency, too!
This list is read by many people so use this medium to inform us about
what you are
doing/planning. And do it often...