DVD for RunRev?

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 03:51:52 EST 2004

On 9 Mar 2004, at 02:48, Erik Hansen wrote:

> --- Marian Petrides <mpetrides at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> Depends on two things:
>>
>> how big the files are you want to back up and
>> how much you want to make video DVDs.
>> I like backing up my entire home (user)
>> directory periodically and the
>> SuperDrive facilitates that.
>
> i can back up files on an external hard drive.

But only for short-term use, if you are backing up much stuff or
archiving then HDs are just going to cost too much.  And would you
really trust it to be uncorrupted when you connect it up five years
later?  Drives are much handier, but also much more fragile, dropping a
DVD in a case is not going to have the same catastrophic effect as
dropping the external drive.

In other words, short-term backup on a drive yes, but for longer term
backup DVD or tape is likely to work out much cheaper and more
reliable.

>> And I REALLY like using iDVD!
>
> so to distribute ones videos,
> a DVD burner looks good compared to other
> options or the next few years?

At the moment there ARE no other practical options for video if you
want to play it on a computer.  There are a lot of people out there who
don't have broadband access, and even if they do it'll take a day or
two to download a DVD-quality movie.

Ian Wood
Panoramic photography, from web to billboard, sunrise to moonrise
http://www.azurevision.co.uk