TSCC license

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 9 03:40:57 EST 2004

Trevor DeVore wrote:
> The Ambrosia videos use the QuickTime Animation codec which isn't a very
> good delivery codec but it is all QT really had for screen capture.  At
> 100% quality it is lossless but even when you drop the percentage slider
> down you get larger file sizes then you would with a codec like TSCC.
> Ensharpen for QT is actually a pretty big deal because QT has not had a
> screen capture delivery codec while WiMP and Real have for quite some
> time.  The codec has good compression, is lossless and is nice to your
> CPU (unlike Sorenson).

I hear TSCC is good (I look forward to seeing it too, but it won't show
the video track on my new G4 laptop).

My point is not about the relative merit of one codec over another, but
that the technology to deliver useful screen recordings as training
materials has been around for years and can be done with readily
available tools.  In the highly competitive video compression arena it
will only continue to get better over time.

I just didn't want to leave folks with the impression that a "perfect"
solution being creatable only on Windows would preclude a "good"
solution from being created anywhere.  Many companies have been
delivering training videos over the Web for quite a while, and a lot of
them were done on Macs.

Having a "lossy" codec does not necessarily mean the instructional value
will also be lost.  Yes, getting the very best quality technology allows
can be valuable, but getting results now with the tools at hand can be
more so.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation