TSCC license

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Mar 9 00:49:58 EST 2004

At 11:39 PM -0500 8/3/04, Chipp wrote:
>Just wondering, other than the length, big words and legalese, what
>specifically was objectionable in the license agreement?

I didn't read far enough to get to anything more objectionable than
the language itself!

I was set up for a laugh by the heading of the non-capitalised text,
"WITNESSETH". It's not in either of my dictionaries, and
www.dictionary.com has no entries. Good fun, but it leads to some
interesting questions. If a legal document contains a made-up word
without definition can it have a legal meaning? If an agreement
contains words so archaic that the reader can't reasonably be
expected to be sure of their meaning is the agreement valid? If an
agreement is written in English is it binding on a person who agrees
by clicking even if they can't read English?

Anyway, back to work...

--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer