topStack returns empty?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 7 21:51:21 EST 2004

The topstack function should return the topmost window of the lowest
mode, but under what circumstances (if any) should it return empty?

I would have thought that should never occur, since the engine requires
at least one stack open at all times.  In my circumstance it should be
even simpler, as there is one toplevel stack open and several palette
windows -- yet under circumstances I have yet to pin down a recipe for,
I have been able to query the topstack in the middle of a complex
routine and it returns empty.

Why?

--
  Richard Gaskin