hiliting all instances of a string in a field

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 3 12:59:23 EST 2004

On Wednesday, March 3, 2004, at 10:21 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> Has anyone written a function that will find all instances of a string
> in the htmlText of a field EXCEPT if it appears in a tag such as
> <a></a>?  I need to hilite all instances of the string in the field.
> I figure I'm either missing a really obvious function already in Rev
> that will do it or I need a fancy regular expression.

I assume you want the character offset.

One approach would be to use a loop and a matchChunk.  The match chunk
would find the start of the match and the start of the rest.  This is
applied to rest until there is no rest (so to speak).  Collect the
offsets or process them as you find them.  One problem is that this
might run afoul of bug 16.  In that case, limit yourself to a maximum
number of elements to be ignored between each instance.

If you just want to count them or something, then use replaceText() to
remove the <a></a> and then count the string instances.

Dar Scott