use-revolution Digest, Vol 9, Issue 45

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jun 20 17:26:45 EDT 2004

>>If you read Bugzilla, you should have noted that Mr. Rinaldi wrote
>>he had checked and not seen anything that could be wrong with the
>>external and suspected an issue with the engine, hence I entered
>>this into Bugzilla. Who am I argue with Mr Rinaldi, probably the
>>most noted external writer.
>
>You're absolutely right -- my apologies.  Admittedly, I skimmed that
>report (had my head deep in debugging when I read Bugzilla #855 the
>first time).
>
>If Rinaldi's GetFInfo external doesn't work that means either
>Rinaldi's code has an issue, the RunRev externals code has an issue,
>or both.
>
>I don't know the extent to which RunRev claims the engine is
>compliant with the HyperCard 1.x externals spec, but if they claim
>compliance and the external conforms to that spec it would be in the
>interest of both RunRev and Rinaldi to resolve the issue.  Once it's
>resolved we'd all get a nifty external to use as well. :)
>
>The current status of Bugzilla #855 is "UNCONFIRMED", which would
>seem to accurately reflect where things are.
>
>Let's hope they address that one soon.  If there's an issue with the
>externals API it may likely affect other externals as well.

MetaCard always claimed (and it is still on their web site): "Object
architecture, scripting language, and external procedure call
interface are source compatible with Apple Corporation's HyperCard."
The external in question works under HyperCard, which indeed puts
shadow of doubt on Rev's engine.

>>Note also that later, I have converted this from bug report to
>>enhancement request. The detailed files info does not contain any
>>of the info I mentioned. Plus, "the detailed files" is read only,
>>whereas all those items must be read/write.
>
>Agreed, that would be nice.  I just added my 5 votes for it. :)
>Far better to have that functionality available for all platforms
>(at least as much as is relevant outside of Mac Classic).

That functionality applies to Mac Classic and OSX, so having that old
external working would be an easy way out for RunRev to support this.

Robert