FTP queries

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Jun 20 19:25:50 EDT 2004

On Jun 20, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Pursuing my remote notification requirements, I am creating an HTML
> file which gets re-generated and uploaded to the server every few
> minutes. However FTP uploads don't always work, but I don't want to be
> left with a situation where I upload half a file, leaving nothing that
> is readable by a web browser.
>
> A good solution would seem to be to upload the file using a temporary
> file name, check that the file length is the same as expected, then
> re-name the temporary file to the display file name. Is this a good
> way to go - perhaps people with more experience at FTP could suggest
> something better?
>
> If this is a good plan, how do I do the renaming? Will I have to
> delete the original file first, or will the renaming automatically
> replace it?

Sarah,

I would do like this, set a invisible log field for libURL. This field
will spot all info that occured in the transaction. This log field will
be in the format

Number + Message + cr

It's according to FTP spec (
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/Overview.html ) if you happen to
stumble in a error you can parse the log field for the error. Also the
log field will sport a nice line with the text : "you uploaded #num
bytes and downloaded #num bytes" or something like that, just look for
the line and check with your file size...

this aproach is easy and will not involve more traffic or complications
than the ones you already have.

hope I help.

PS: the CGI-Tool stack uses a log field to display data to the user,
it's amazing how much the log field will tell about a transaction.

Cheers
Andre

> Cheers,
> Sarah