use-revolution Digest, Vol 9, Issue 45

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 20 09:11:08 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

 >> I'll be facing a similar challenge scheduled for August on an app
 >> that needs some file/folder stuff.  But we're using this design
 >> phase to pin down the essential must-haves first, so hopefully
 >> we'll be able to deliver what we truly need at a very low cost,
 >> and leave the full Finder experience to Apple's excellent team. :)
 >
 > One big shortcoming, at least for me, is that there is no way to
 > access Finder flags and file labels directly in Rev as far as I know
 > (AppleScript is not a workaround for me because I need to manipulate
 > these in large quantities and repeatedly).
 >
 > I can use Rinaldi's externals to handle that in Hypercard (and that is
 > what I continue to do), but the GetFInfo external crashes Rev/MC and,
 > unfortunately, RR does not consider it an issue (see bug 855).

The best Transcript offers at the moment is "the detailed files", which
includes at least some info, including data fork size, res fork size,
creation date, modification date, permissions, creator code, and
filetype code.

If you need more than that hopefully Mr. Rinaldi can be pursuaded to
update GetFInfo for use in Rev.  I read Bugzilla #855, and while I can
understand your frustration I can also understand the necessity for
RunRev to not make a policy of supporting third-party externals.  The
best person who can help with that would be Mr. Rinaldi himself.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation