Capabilities: RTF editing, Graphs, flat-file database

Geoff Caplan geoff at advantae.com
Mon Jun 7 20:49:30 EDT 2004

Ken,

Thanks for the response...

KR> 1) Fields automatically support fonts, sizes, styles, colors,
KR> inline images; bullets are a little tricky as a field does not
KR> have paragraph-level indents, so if the bulleted text can wrap to
KR> the left margin (although the bullet itself is indented), then
KR> you're OK.

What are my options if I need a more complete Rich Text editor with
bullets, tables, indents etc? I don't need it right away but I don't
want to run into brick walls in the future. I guess I could use a
.dll, but then I sacrifice portability.

KR> 3) You have a number of choices on data storage; you can use
KR> internal card-based storage (basically one "card" per record in a
KR> stack that holds all the cards; search across the cards for what
KR> you want), or you can use a number of DBMSes (Valentina,
KR> PostgreSQL, mySQL, etc.).

As I say, what I need is a single-user flat-file data store for a
low-cost consumer product - an embedded engine that will be 100%
rock-solid, install seamlessly with the application and maintain
itself with no user intervention. I don't need relational capability
or concurrent access.

MySQL and Postgres don't fit the bill, obviously. I haven't used
Valentina, but as a full-featured RDBMS it would surely be too complex
and unreliable.

The built-in card-based storage would be simple and reliable, but I
need to search a record-set of around 60,000 records on multiple keys
so I can't imagine that it would do the job (or am I wrong about
this?).

Again, there are suitable .dlls such as Tsunami, but only at the cost
of portability... Alternatively, Sleepycat and others release ASCI C
sourcecode with their engines - is there some way of building this
into Revolution? This would be the ideal solution, I think.

I need to solve this if I'm going to go with Rev, so I'd be very
grateful for any advice...

Geoff Caplan
Vario Software Ltd
(+44) 121-515 1154