Am I the only one (Windows...) - A resolution, perhaps

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Mon Jun 7 22:35:24 EDT 2004

I've been bombarding Scott Raney with eMails and sample stacks that
displayed the problem. (Bug 794 - Problem being an OSX-developed stack
brought over to Windows where the fields would display not just the
wrong font but a "corrupted" font with the baseline, size, style, font
all way too small and usually pushed way up above where you could
readily see the text.)

After I completely updated my Windows installation per MS
recommendations (Service Pack 4 on W2K, etc.) -and- installed a printer
(the was no printer selection as this was a recent install), the
problem disappeared. I was not sure which action resolved the problem
as I did both before running the stack in the IDE again.

However, my subsequent eMail to Scott caused him to look at the
"formatForPrinting" property of my stack which, Scott says, was "true".
This causes all sorts of really nasty things to happen to the stack's
(and distro's!) appearance if you do not have a printer installed and
selected (so says Scott). Additionally, if I had RTFM(!), the
formatForPrinting property must be set to false before you change any
text in a field (which I had not been doing because I had been
developing in OSX). Here's what the online doc has to say:

> Comments:
> Windows systems may use different font versions for printing and for
> screen display, and the spacing of the print version may differ from
> the spacing of the screen version. This can result in layouts and line
> breaks differing between the screen display and the printed result.
> For the best appearance of printed cards in a stack, make sure the
> stack is closed (and not in memory), then set the stack's
> formatForPrinting property to true before opening the stack to print
> it.

>   Important!  Do not edit field text in a stack whose
> formatForPrinting is true. Doing so can cause display anomalies. Set
> the formatForPrinting property to false before you make changes to
> text in fields.

Do I leave formatForPrinting false in the saved stack but set it to
true in the preopenStack handler? Is it not proper to leave it set to
true even if the distro's field text never changes? Anyone with
experience in this issue is invited to opine.

Thankfully, these questions are minor compared to the (resolved) issue
I had been facing.

Thanks,
Barry