Linux distribution selection?

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Jul 31 19:37:16 EDT 2004

Hello,

Linux x86 under Virtual PC 6 need lots of power and if you expect to
use a G4 to run it, you will get best results in choosing to run Linux
under a real x86 box, as Richard recommands. About the distributions :
Lindows, Mandrake or RedHat are probably more suitables than the last
Suse/Novell issues. All are yet using very friendly installers and are
running mature GUI and desktop interface (KDE, Gnome). The bad thing
with Linux ? Probably not as good as xBSD are in about servers tasks
and probably not as good as Panther is in about desktop works...

Le 1 août 04, à 01:00, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Troy Rollins wrote:
>
>> I haven't had a Linux machine up and running since RedHat 7.
>> I'm looking at all the available distributions, and as usual with
>> Linux, it can be a little bewildering... but here is what I want...
>> • Graphical install, package manager and file managers
>> • Lightweight and suitable to run on VirtualPC
>> • Capable of running Revolution
>> • Suited to testing apps, and running test servers
>> * No Linux terminal guru requirements
>> It doesn't have to be a huge OS, in fact, better if it isn't. I don't
>> plan to do word processing, spreadsheets, email, video editing or
>> play games on it. It would be a Revolution development, and
>> development server installation.
>
> I've been enjoying Linspire (formerly "Lindows").  I've used Red Hat,
> but with Linspire being the OS bundled with WalMart's $200 machines it
> seemed worth seeing this aggressively-consumer-oriented OS.  I'm very
> happy with it.
>
> Extra bonus points:  if you don't want to install it you can run it
> from the second CD included in the package.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores