Express to Dreamcard was RE: scrollbar problems

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 22 09:48:06 EDT 2004

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> At 06:04 22/07/2004 -0700, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> As for the licensing stuff, I haven't yet read a post from Kevin
>> describing what will happen with license holders for the
>> about-to-be-end-of-lifed Express (did I miss it?).
>
> Yes, it's in the FAQ mentioned in Kevin's announcement email
>    An FAQ on the changes to Express can be found here:
>    http://www.runrev.com/express/expresstodreamcard.shtml
> Well, just 10 days ago I bought my first license - Express plus a one
> year update bundle.
> Now I find that there will be no updates on the product I bought.
>
> Tell me again  - why should I be happy about it ?

If I read the URL you posted correctly, it seems you're moving up to
Studio for the price of Express.  Doesn't sound all that bad.

Sure beats having a product end-of-lifed with no upgrade option at all,
like Apple did to its HyperCard customers and Adobe did to its
LiveMotion customers.  Both companies had spent years selling the
products at their sites while no product development was happening,
concealing their internal plans to nix them from the buying public --
how can the consumer exercise caveat emptor without fair disclosure from
the vendor?  Between the two, only Adobe eventually came clean and
announced end-of-life for LiveMotion.  To date, the last official word
on HyperCard from any Apple employee was Steve Jobs' comment at CAUSE
'98 in which he said that "rumors that we've killed HyperCard are
bullsh*t".  I guess one needs tall boots in Cupertino <g>.

At least with Rev you can safely walk barefoot on clean grass; Kevin &
Co's being up-front about end-of-lifing Express puts them in a very rare
category among software vendors.  Maintaining the Express price for
Studio seems a pretty good move for both them and Express license holders.

> (And I won't even mention the fact that I bought it in the UK, at 40%
> more than the USD prices we generally talk about).

Why does Rev cost more in the UK?  I had thought that when making credit
card purchases the price shown in USD is adjusted to current local
exchange rates by the card broker, no?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation