What's an item ?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Jul 19 23:50:04 EDT 2004

>Any clues for me on "how to think of an item" ?

Hi Alex,

An item is a string of chars delimited by a specified delimiter
character.  All the characters up to the first delimiter character
(or the end of the string, whichever comes first) constitute the
first item.  If there are no characters before the first delimiter,
the first item is empty; if there are no characters after the last
delimiter, there are no more items.

Perhaps it would help to consider items as lines (ie: the
itemDelimiter = return).

the number of lines of "This is a line" = the number of lines of
"This is a line"&return

the number of lines of return&"This is line 2" = the number of lines
of return&"This is line 2"&return
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company