Setting explicitVariables

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 14 07:04:34 EDT 2004

I received a comment (attached to a bug description in Bugzilla) from
RunRev support, on the subject of setting explicitVariables.

It said:

>When you tried to enable explicitVariables, did you 'set the explicitVariables
>to true'? If so, this is not supported. To enable 'Variable Checking', set the
>option in the script menu of the script editor. There is also an option in the
>global preferences to set this automatically.

I'm surprised that doing a 'set the explicitVariables to true' isn't
supported (since I copy/pasted it from the Transcript dictionary).

As far as I can see, the Script menu of the Script Editor has no option for
this - all it has is
   Comment
   Uncomment
   ------------------
   Insert Control Structure ->
   -----------------
   Colorize
   Format

I can't see anything relevant to explicitVariables in any other menu
either, and the Transcript Dict doesn't tell me which menu to use (nor does
Search Docs, nor anything else I can find).

>There is also an option in the
>global preferences to set this automatically.

This would be under  Edit / Preferences ...
I've been through all the preference screens (a number of times now :-),
and can't see anything about explicitVariables. Is there some other
preference that could be causing it to be hidden ?
Or have I just missed it ?

Thanks
-- Alex.