Documentation & Books & related

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Jul 8 01:07:47 EDT 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 10:02 PM, John Tenny wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2004, at 9:15 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>  "Many hundreds of people, mostly probably from *some* programming or
> scripting background, *have* managed to find their way through the
> docs, this list, and the absolutely essential trial-and-error that is
> part of learning any practical skill and have become proficient enough
> to produce satisfying and satisfactory solutions."
>
> ---------
>
> I sorted my saved list emails by 'Name' and did not come up with
> anything like  "many hundreds of people" as unique names. This is a
> very active and useful list, but the number of folks who request help
> once or twice and then don't return should not be considered as being
> among those who have 'become proficient'.

I wouldn't count them, either. But there are lots of folks who are
actively using this software who never show up on the list. They either
lurk or don't bother because they already get it. I've met quite a
number of these. Based on my guesstimate of the product's installed
base, I'm simply making a SWAG that there are hundreds.

Sorry. Should have been clearer about the number.