Documentation & Books & related

John Tenny jtenny at willamette.edu
Thu Jul 8 01:02:42 EDT 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 9:15 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
  "Many hundreds of people, mostly probably from *some* programming or
scripting background, *have* managed to find their way through the
docs, this list, and the absolutely essential trial-and-error that is
part of learning any practical skill and have become proficient enough
to produce satisfying and satisfactory solutions."

---------

I sorted my saved list emails by 'Name' and did not come up with
anything like  "many hundreds of people" as unique names. This is a
very active and useful list, but the number of folks who request help
once or twice and then don't return should not be considered as being
among those who have 'become proficient'. The main contributers to this
list are actually a fairly small number of talented and friendly folks,
who regularly challenge and assist each other. They also generously
assist beginners when asked. However, if I were the company, I'd worry
(and do something) about the regular messages concerning the difficulty
of learning and lack of docs.

Like the long-haired love children, the number of ex-Hcarders is fixed
and diminishing. The population of programmers trained in another
language and being converted is a more current group of potential
customers, but if that income stream doesn't satisfy the company, they
had better look to serving the other group - those new to programming.
I suggest two lines of support: materials directly aimed at the total
beginner (Dan's book is a good start); and materials directly aimed at
those who teach new programmers (regardless of grade level). Teachers
do NOT have the time to create or rewrite confusing docs or sample
code, or create useful and meaningful programming problems and
assignments. Providing a 'teacher's manual' for the current
documentation will not suffice; what's needed are teaching tools
designed from scratch.

I really hope that the company can afford to risk trying to get ahead
of the curve and move from reaction to proaction.

Peace,

    John

John L. Tenny, Ph.D.
Flowing Thought Educational Solutions