Is a stack source code?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 9 00:52:27 EST 2004

On Thursday, January 8, 2004, at 03:37 PM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> At 4:25 pm -0500 8/1/04, T. R. Ponn wrote:
>> Hmmmm...it sounds like you got of bed on the philosphical side this
>> morning. :-)
>
> My guess would be a potential client just dumped a 185-page contract
> on Dar's desk with the words "ownership", "copyright", and "source
> code" scattered throughout. :)
>
> Which is it, Dar?

Both are good guesses, knowing me.  However, ...

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Not sure how this press release got to MacTech before it got here, but
> it's
> a great read:
>    The press, the public, and Revolution developers are invited
>    to stop by the Runtime Revolution booth for an early look at
>    new features, now in early development. These exciting new
>    capabilities include:
>
>    * Industrial-strength data encryption

(Note the double use of "early".)

Those of us in the US have some constraints in making cryptography
material available, mostly because of some export restrictions.  Others
might have similar constraints to various degrees.  This past year
there has been a softening of the rules.  One exemption category
involves "publicly available" source code on line.  One way to qualify
is to be educational (and/or related to research).  Some of the
non-exemption cases are streamlined, too.  I don't like the pain of
dealing with all this, but it is easier than it was.  I'm still
learning, so all I have said might be hogwash.  Anyway, in my daydream,
whether I make cryptography products available or not, a first step
might be a primer stack on cryptography and Revolution.  This would
have some simple "obfuscation" functions, product key code, some other
MD5 uses, and some shell commands using gnupg and/or openSSL and
wipe/burn programs.  With the new features in _early_ development, some
of these might become faster and would avoid file usage; they would
directly use new commands and functions.  This might fit in with the
primers I have on the back burner.  Depending on interest, I might do
something with more substance.

So, in this daydream I might start on another project to not finish.

However, this might become applicable to the list.  As new Revolution
features add new opportunity, use of the opportunity might involve some
headaches.  Maybe we can learn from each other.  I'm learning from
others.  This export regulations stuff doesn't fit into my head very
well.

Dar Scott