Newbie Questions

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 10 13:19:22 EST 2004

On Jan 10, 2004, at 11:29 AM, Jim Carwardine wrote:

> Short List of Questions...
>
> 1. Is there a search function that searches all the repositories of
> Rev.
> knowledge... especially the list archives over all years? And, BTW,
> what are
> all the repositories of knowledge?

I don't know ALL the repositories, but the main one you need to learn
the answers to most of your other questions is the Rev docs. Use the
Search feature a lot and ALWAYS look at the See Also menu of the items
you turn up.

> 2. If I have a button that is grouped so that it behaves like a bg btn
> in HC
> can I have a different icon for each card in that button?  I know in
> HC I
> can¹t because the button icon is shared in the background, but how
> about
> Rev?  Would I have to keep it a card button and copy/paste it
> explicitly
> when i create a new card under script control?

That would be one way. If you want it to be in a background group and
have a different icon on each card, you would have to switch the icon
of the button when the card opens. See Roadmap -> Welcome -> HyperCard
Developer, About Groups and Backgrounds

> 3. If I give a button a custom icon (like a thumbnail jpg), I notice
> that
> Rev gives it an icon number.  Is that number unique to the button?  I
> think
> yes...

Yes. See Roadmap -> Transcript Dictionary -> ID property

> 4. How do I reference a button in a group?... and, related to this, If
> want to add a button to a scrolling group (the button position may be
> scrolled out of sight when I add it), how do I do it and get the
> position of
> the new button in the group spaced right?

See the doc ref to question 2 above and also Roadmap -> All Doc by
Category, Objects and Messages -> About object types and object