standalone naming

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Jan 8 21:50:52 EST 2004

Hi Tom,

You need to distinguish between the name of the stack, the name of the
stack FILE and the name of the standalone app.

Consider a structure like this:
file "MyStackFile.rev"
	containing stacks:	"MyStack" & "SubStack"
Your scripts probably refer to stack "MyStack" and stack "SubStack".
If you are using relative file paths, you may be using:
	the fileName of stack "MyStack"
which probably gives you something like:
	/Users/tom/Documents/RevStacks/MyStackFile.rev

When you build your application, you can call it whatever you like,
e.g. MyApp
It still contains the 2 stacks and any scripts referring to them will
still know where to go. You can change the app's name without any
problem, unless you have specifically referred to the application's
name in any of the scripts.

With OS X, getting the fileName of the stack is then a bit different as
the stack is buried inside the bundle folder. Once built,
	the fileName of stack "MyStack"
will give something like this:
/Users/tom/Desktop/MyApp_MacOSX_Standalone/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/
Revolution

You may need to take this into account when constructing relative
paths, but you can certainly change the name of the application and the
.rev file whenever you want. The actual stack names are the only ones
you need to be careful about renaming.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au