Win98 loses path

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 8 16:11:07 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:38:33 -0500, James.Cass at sealedair.com wrote:

>Windows 98 users better upgrade to XP.  Microsoft is pounding the final
>coffin nails into 98.  The funeral is next Friday.  (01/16/2004 )
>More:  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/04/2158233

They won't, at least not in any predictable timeframe. All the people on
this list are an order of magnitude (at least) more technically aware than
the average PC user, particularly if the PC was purchased for him/her to
carry out some specific task (such as teaching) by an under-funded
organisation with little or no interest in paying Microsoft after the
initial purchase to buy more stuff (to such an organisation, an OS is stuff
- and it's usually in the hardware budget). The upgrade philosophy of this
type of user is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". In a year or so they may
throw away the PC and start again because they really need the added speed
and functionality that a more modern machine will provide, but that's
pretty much all you can hope for. I'm talking about schools, primarily.

Graham