Launching in OS X Problems

Peter Reid preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 19:45:41 EST 2004

Hi

Did anyone get a solution to launching programs under OS X?  I'm
using Rev 2.1.2 with OS X 10.3.2 and trying to "launch" the three
media players: Flash, RealOne and Windows Media Player with relevant
media files.  Only the Flash one works!

I've tried using:

    launch mediafile with mediaPlayer

(where mediaPlayer is the full path to the Windows Media Player, say)

If I try this in the Message box, I get the error "no such program".
But if I omit the mediafile from the launch command:

    launch mediaPlayer

then it works fine, i.e. it opens the player (but doesn't play
anything of course!).  This is true for both Windows Media Player and
RealOne Player, both of which are carbonised by the look of it (they
are .app bundles, with embedded Contents/MacOS etc.) unlike the Flash
Player which seems to be a native app.

I even tried to use AppleScript instead:

     put "tell application " & quote & "Windows Media Player" & quote
& return &\
         "  open " & quote & mediafile & quote & return &\
         "end tell" & return into theScript
     do theScript as AppleScript

but this just opens the Windows Media Player without playing the media file.

I want to be be able to make my Rev app like a video jukebox that
handles the three  formats by opening the relevant player in its own
window.

Any ideas please??

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
         preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
         peter.reidit at ntlworld.com
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk