switching between movies

Jason Tangen j.tangen at unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 23 03:28:36 EDT 2004

I have two movies (both 640x480, 240 frames, ~2MB each).  I want to
allow the user to click a button to switch back and forth between the
two without delay.  Right now - I'm using the following strategy:

on keydown key
   if key = space then
     put the currentTime of player "A" into Atime
     set lockscreen to true
     hide player "A"
     set the currentTime of player "B" to Atime
     show player "B"
     start player "B"
     set lockscreen to false
   else pass keyDown
end keydown

...but this results in a rather noticeable delay between the clips.  I
found that setting alwaysBuffer to false helps, but not much.  I tried
importing the clip - but the videoPlayer doesn't allow you to set the
current frame or time.  I thought about frame-based animation or
animated gifs, but animated gifs seems rather memory intensive
(especially for 240 frames!)

Any suggestions?

Jason