dBase lib

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Aug 12 16:03:46 EDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Dave LeYanna wrote:

> I am converting an old system that has dozens of tables, 50 or so
> custom written programs and semi-associated systems. I am moving
> little pieces over to PostgreSQL a little at a time because it is way
> to much to move everything at once. The old design needs to be
> reworked and has been reworked over the years by way to many system
> designers.
>
> I need to be able to retrieve and update records in the old system and
> at the same time manipulate data in the new PostgreSQL system. I want
> the front end to become congruent and transparent to the two data
> storage backends. As time goes on everything will be in the PostgreSQL
> backend but for now...
>
> Dave

Dave,

we don't have a plain dbase file lib, I think it should not be hard to
implement a simple one, I just looked at
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/python/dbfreader.py  where
you have a simple dbf reader. I think your options are:

1) Implement dbase lib on your won. That would be great.
2) Make a gui wrapper in Rev, use a command line tool on the background
to interface with the dbase files (like gui in Rev, dbase engine in
python)
3) Use ODBC and be happy. Why can't you use ODBC, I am sure you said,
but I missed...

Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004