semit OT : networking old Macs - how to ?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Nov 6 16:44:50 EST 2003

On 11/6/03 12:36 PM, "jbv" <jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr> wrote:

> 1) I've been thinking of setting up Ethernet connections using old
> Ethernet cards (that can be found for almost nothing these days
> on eBay and other websites). Of course that would waste 1 Nubus
> slot on each machine, but I guess I have no other option...
> I'm also wondering which drivers I should use, where to download
> them (I guess the Apple website features everything I need)
> and possible compatibility problems...

I don't think you need any special drivers at all.  Until recently I had a
Quadra 950 networked via coaxial cable to a wide range of machines/systems
on cat 5 ethernet -- the only thing you need is an ethernet transceiver
since old style 10baseT ethernet ports are already available on the old
machines.  The drivers are built into the OS (ethernet system extension that
ships with the OS).

You can also look at a serial-to-ethernet box (I believe Asante makes this
but not sure) that allows you to connect to an ethernet network via a serial
port.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director