[SC] Re: Supercard vs. Rev

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sat Mar 15 23:59:01 EST 2003

Chilton, I enjoy reading the insights of you old-school xtalk
developers.

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 08:37  PM, Chilton Webb wrote:

> The problem here is that REALBasic's users became apathetic to this
> site a few days after it went live, and Revolution's users did not.
> The arguments became suddenly very one-sided, and still are, to a
> large degree. Furthermore (due to the nature of Wiki, I assume),
> entire sections have been erased to cover up how some people feel
> about the discussion.

The only sections that were erased, that I am aware of (and I didn't do
the erasing) was a realbasic user that posted something to the effect
of "stup1d l00zers... revolution developers are just too dumb to use
any other tool."

> As of right now, there is no shipping version of Revolution that is
> fully compatible with Jaguar. That's the OS that I use on all of my
> systems, and the OS used by all of my clients, and their users. The
> betas do exist, but they are still betas. And no, expecting Mac users
> using Jaguar to set Revolution's UI to use OS9's appearance, is NOT
> acceptable.

I don't understand. Do you mean your clients are working with the IDE,
or with built apps? If the former, then I can see how it would
uncomfortable saying "erm... you have to select mac os emulated each
time you launch it, or it will crash". If the latter, IMHO it's not
that big of a deal.

It has not stopped me from developing in Rev 1.1.1 on OS X, full-time
for the last 6 months. I would classify Rev 1.1.1's problems with OS X
as minor inconveniences. There are 3 things I'm aware of:

1) Select Mac OS emulated when I launch Rev IDE (for built apps,
running Appearance Mgr is fine)
2) Workaround for the shell() command using applescript
3) Rev does not build app bundles, but app bundles are easy to create
by hand in the Finder.

All in all, Rev is relatively solid for a 1.x product. 'course I'm
biased because I'm a recovering realbasic user <shudder>

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com