[SC] Re: Supercard vs. Rev

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sun Mar 16 00:09:01 EST 2003

You know, I got the same hostile reaction from some of the REALbasic
crowd at the time. Others simply contributed to the wiki.

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Chilton Webb wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 08:50  PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:
>
>> On the Revolution mailing list, on Friday, March 14, 2003, at 06:26
>> AM,
>> Tim Hart wrote:
>>
>>> So now that Supercard 4 is out.  What are your opinions?  I was
>>> reading in MacWorld and they kind of made a stab at Rev for waiting
>>> so
>>> long to release 2.  I have to say it is funny.  I mean what is the
>>> hold up.  I don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see how they could
>>> possibly miss their original announcement by 4 months of just bug
>>> fixing.  What is going on?
>>
>> As always happens when a topic like this comes up, there was some
>> lively debate, a few questions of character, and not much positive
>> result. When this happened on the REALbasic list last year, I posted a
>> couple pages on a wiki server with room for opinion. The result was
>> actually halfway decent, so I've done the same for
>> SuperCard/Revolution. The home page for discussion is at:
>>
>> http://wiki.macitworks.com/revdocs/revolutionAndSuperCard
>
> The problem here is that REALBasic's users became apathetic to this
> site a few days after it went live, and Revolution's users did not.
> The arguments became suddenly very one-sided, and still are, to a
> large degree. Furthermore (due to the nature of Wiki, I assume),
> entire sections have been erased to cover up how some people feel
> about the discussion.

It's funny that you say this. The entire history of both pages,
complete with dates and diff files, is available right there. Unless
you are accusing me of manipulating the server directly, the entire
content of _every_ post to those pages is available right now to anyone
who cares to look. All I ever did was remove the "REALbasic SUX!"
entries.

If you find a place where I or anyone removed "entire sections," then
put it back ;-)

I can't help the importance people placed on the debate. There was a
firestorm on the RB list, and it wasn't the first I had seen, so I put
up the pages, so that maybe the next time people could just send a
questioner to the wiki and be done with it.

I have never posted to either list to remind people to update the wiki.
Until now, that is. I considered cross posting this to the REALbasic
NUG as well, but it seemed too off-topic for them. The next time
someone brings up Rev on the RB list if I catch it, I'll point out the
wiki pages. If you feel the RB crowd needs to be reminded now, then
post to the RB NUG to do so.

> As of right now, there is no shipping version of Revolution that is
> fully compatible with Jaguar. That's the OS that I use on all of my
> systems, and the OS used by all of my clients, and their users. The
> betas do exist, but they are still betas. And no, expecting Mac users
> using Jaguar to set Revolution's UI to use OS9's appearance, is NOT
> acceptable.

Fine, post that to the wiki. That's what it's for. Posting to the
mailing lists means that someone who shows up tomorrow never sees it.

> Once Rev 2.0 actually ships, then this will be a valid discussion.
> Hey, if it sounds like I'm being unfair, keep in mind that until SC4
> actually shipped, the Rev users were saying the same things about the
> SuperCard betas. I'll be glad to compare shipping products to shipping
> products, on the current MacOS. It's just that doing so puts Rev in a
> very unfair place.

How is posting this to the mailing list any better? Either way, you're
saying that when comparing shipping versions, Rev is inferior. You're
entitled to your opinion, and there's no reason not to put it on the
wiki where people have the ability to respond directly instead of
through a thread.

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com