Proposal - the use-revolution list

Graham graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 31 15:40:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:45:52 +0100, Keith Martin <keith at vortex.co.uk> wrote:

> >I'm not against the idea of a forum especially for following up past issues,
> >but I would not want to lose the list. There are still quite a few on dial
> >up access for whom the list provides a quick economical way of keeping up
> >with the debate offline.
>
>I'm not on dialup, but I have an observation. I have found that
>whenever I've been involved in a group discussion that has gone from
>email list to a supposedly 'easier to use' forum I've always stopped
>using it. However, that's just my own (arguably strange) behaviour...

I agree - Forums are harder to browse than you think, and those little
'new' icons never seem to be quite telling the truth, do they? But for me
the biggest crunch is the aforementioned not being able to work offline. I
work in 2 locations, one with a permanently-connected cable modem running
at about 512kbps, and one with a phone line that seldom achieves more than
33kbps in practice. I just couldn't efficiently participate in any group
that insisted on one being online all the time one was reading it. I do use
Forums now (like the Adobe ones), but I just plunge in and get out as soon
as possible when/if my problem is solved. With RunRev just reading
everything that comes in is an education in itself. For example, I've just
awarded myself the prize for least-informed RunRev lister, on the grounds
that I don't even know what XML is. Somehow in 42 years of programming/IT
it passed me by. But thanks to the list, I'm about to find out.

Graham