Another group question

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Sat Jan 25 17:17:00 EST 2003

on 1/24/03 6:22 PM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto at jeanne at runrev.com wrote:

> At 5:49 PM -0800 1/24/03, Mark Swindell wrote:
>> I have a single menu group that I want placed on all cards in my stack.
>> I've disengaged it from being a subgroup of a larger group and placed it on
>> one card.  But when I go to place it on the other cards, it doesn't show up
>> in the Place Menu, and when I type "Place group theOnlyMenu" into the
>> message box I get an error.  What am I missing?  I can copy and paste it,
>> however.
>
> Are you sure it's no longer a subgroup? Try checking "the owner of group
> whatever" to make sure it's not owned by another group.
>
> There's a tricky bit with the place command, which is that "group whatever"
> only works if the group is already on the card (because "group" is used in
> reference to a card). If the group isn't placed on the current card, but is
> in the stack, you need to use "background":
>
> place background "Foo" onto this card

Jeanne, Geoff,

Thanks for the clarification, and yes, the "place background onto this card"
worked.

I'm curious, though, why the group doesn't show up in the Object|Place Group
menu... aren't all groups that are a part of a stack and not placed on the
current card supposed to show up there, background or other?  Or am I
misunderstanding?

Thanks,
Mark