Internationalisation II

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Tue Jan 7 14:06:35 EST 2003

At 6:17 AM -0800 1/7/03, manuel companys wrote:
>> 1.x Rev apps are also Carbon, but they are in PEF format. 2.0 produces
>> Mach-O applications
>
>Excuse mi ignorqnce... I 'd like to understand what PEF and Mach-O
>means...

They're two different file formats for applications. (It's a little more
complicated than that, but this is the major difference.)

PEF applications are put together like a classic Mac application, as a
single file. They can run on Mac OS systems that have CarbonLib installed,
as well as on OS X.

Mach-O applications come in the form of a bundle - a special type of item.
A bundle is really a folder, but to the user, it appears as a file and can
be double-clicked to launch the application. The bundle contains various
files which are pieces of the application.

In general, for Rev development you don't need to know about the
differences (although it is interesting) because Rev takes care of creating
the bundle for you.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/