Portable fonts and usage recommendations needed

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 17 11:27:00 EDT 2003

On 8/17/03 1:34 AM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Something seems hideous about this.  Is there some good reason for this
> or was this planned from the start to torture me?

It's tempting to say it was designed just to torment you, but actually
this has been the bane of desktop publishing and software design since
day one. Apple first came out with TrueType fonts, later followed by
Microsoft's version of scalable font metrics. Microsoft did it
diferently, of course, and sharing desktop publishing documents across
platforms became a nightmare. To make matters worse, Windows also uses a
*third* set of metrics for its printer fonts. That means that even if
you get something to look right on screen, it will print entirely
differently on a PC (Macs thankfully remain consistent, since the same
metrics are used on screen and for printing.) Windows definitely does
not have WYSIWYG printing support by any means, and I still haven't
figured out how commercial Windows software is able to fake it. The
problem has bitten me more than once, and is the reason that Rev
provides the "formatForPrinting" property to help stack authors get some
idea of how the printout will vary from the screen display.

As others have suggested, the difficulty of assuring consistency of font
display across platforms is rarely worth the trouble and isn't really
reliable anyway. Most of us just get the best approximation we can, and
let the text fall as it may. In general, if you lay out fields on
Windows, there will be plenty of room for the same text on a Mac. If you
lay out fields on a Mac, leave a lot of extra space for the Windows
display. Sometimes you can adjust the field margins depending on the
platform to give the extra pixels you need to create consistent word
wrap, but don't count on it always being accurate. If a user doesn't
have the fonts your stack expects, there's no telling how it will look
and very little you can do about it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com