RevDB, Linux and PostgreSQL

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Aug 14 18:57:00 EDT 2003

> I've developed the client application on MacOSX and have tested it
> successfully under Windows.  Haven't tested yet under Linux so can't
> help there.  The database is running on a separate machine, AFAIK
> running PG 7.3 - I believe this is running Linux but can confirm this
> if it's of interest ( db was set up by our technical support group).
>
> I agree with you that it would be *fantastic* to be able to use Rev's
> built in database functions from command line applications, especially
> under Linux.  I believe this is on the list of planned features (can
> someone from RR comment on this?). Monte Goulding and I looked into
> this a little when we were collaborating on the development of libCGI
> (a freebie CGI library and getting started guide for development of
> Rev/MC CGI solutions which we will be releasing shortly).  Using psql
> via shell() works fine, but it's not very elegant and can't handle
> binary data (or if it can I don't know how to do this, perhaps you
> could pipe binary data in from a file?).

Actually I've been poking around the RunRev FTP server and found that under
the engines directory there is a CGI directory. In it there are some engines
that are larger than the standard engines so I think Tuviah has used the
embedded engine library to build the externals right into the engine (which
would be much faster on unix systems) but seeing as there is no docs we may
never know for sure exactly what is supported.

Seeing as we are currently doing the docs for libCGI it would be ideal to
get this info right now.

Regards

Monte