3D Field Bevel color wierdness.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Thu Aug 14 17:24:01 EDT 2003

At 4:53 PM -0400 8/14/2003, yoy wrote:
>I have a 3d field with 2 pixel border. When I go to the Color & Pattens
>inspector and assign the bottom bevel color to orange, it sets the top and
>left bevel to orange!?? But... my field has a vertical scrollbar and the top
>and bottom arrows and thumb are bevel colored correctly.
>
>I think it's a simple backwards bug. The Top Bevel button colorizes the
>bottom and right bevel and the Bottom Bevel button colorizes the top and
>left bevel. But they colorize the scrollbars correctly.

It isn't a bug (although the labeling isn't as clear as might be):
the Top Bevel button sets the topColor property, and the Bottom Bevel
button sets the bottomColor property. Buttons are outset (they
visually "stick out" from the screen), so with the light source at
the top left, the top and left sides are the ones that light is
hitting. Fields are inset ("pushed in"), so the light coming from the
top left affects the bottom and right sides.

There's a report on this somewhere in Bugzilla from someone who
experienced a similar confusion.
Jeanne DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools
~~~ Check our web site for new Revolution editions & special offers ~~~