Script Limits

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Sat Aug 9 22:54:01 EDT 2003

At 12:55 PM +0100 8/5/03, Kevin Miller wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As part of the transition process in the MetaCard acquisition, we're working
>out what to with the scriptLimits property when not developing with a
>licensed IDE or the 30 day trial.  We plan to reduce the first value in the
>property, the one that lets you set scripts of 10 lines, to 0.  So you'll
>still be able to use "do" but otherwise this loophole will be closed.
>
>If anyone has any objections to this, please contact me off list.  The main
>objection I can see that someone might have is that they use this in their
>existing standalone.  If that is the case, we'll work something out with you
>before making this change.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Kevin

Kevin,

As someone who already doesn't like the 10 line limit for my pet
project, I implore you not to limit this even more. I'm trying to
develop an engine that lets users create board games to play online.
This requires my loading in modules that players have designed and
setting the scripts of game component objects. While I understand
that you won't let unlicensed users enter scripts of any length,
limiting this prevents me from easily setting the actions of playing
pieces, spaces on the board, card capabilities, etc. This is a
freeware project, so asking users to license Rev is not even a remote
possibility.

As others have mentioned, environments such as Director allow for
this kind of adaptive programming. Please don't tighten this
restriction even more than it already is.

Thanks,

Rodney Somerstein