Database management

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu Aug 7 11:49:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 03:17  AM, Andre Rombauts wrote:

> Thanks again...
> Online means the db is on an external server. I have all rights on the
> directory and I put myself the db on the server.
> I have to use ODBC because the database will also be accessed through
> ASP
> pages.
> I mentionned that even no Internet access has started when I'm running
> the
> script. And the Error message doesn't seem to be issued by Revolution
> (Run
> Rev guys can give their opinion?). Thus there seem to be a problem
> between
> Windows and RunRev when executing
> put
> revOpenDatabase("ODBC","myserver.org","/myserver.org/db/
> revolution.mdb","","
> ") into myDB
>
> The problem with Valentina is
> 1) that if there is indeed a driver for remote access there is no
> Standalone
> application for building, managing the db on the Win platform - or I am
> wrong;
> 2) I'm not sure it will be possible to convert .ASP pages to handle
> Valentina stuff (?)

BTW your original posts probably just got lost in the noise. It's just
a busy list.

1) I am no Windows expert- André, isn't ASP pages a server side
scripting language for Web Pages, not for database connectivity?
Shouldn't you be using http GET and POST operations to the URL of the
webserver, not trying to connect directly to the database from Rev?
Then the ASP script on the server side would make the database
connection, format the data, and send it to the http client?

2) If it's really an ODBC connection that is required, I think Bernard
nailed it. You must to define an ODBC DSN on the local machine and on
the remote server so it would look something like this.

         Local                   Remote
Rev <-> ODBC DSN  <- Network -> ODBC DSN <-> SQL server

But notice ASP web scripting is nowhere in that picture- so something
is confusing about what the requirements are.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com