Database newbie questions

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 15:50:01 EDT 2003

--- "John R. Brauer" <drjohn at wellminds.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a newbie. I am working on a project which will
> require that I
> store data in a database (a separate record for each
> client, and about
> six hundred fields per record). Each time it is
> used, it will need to
> generate a new record for that client (it is a
> program that will
> administer and score an exam of sorts) My questions:
>
> a) which database would you suggest (I guess that
> Oracle, MySQL and
> Valentina are my options)?
>
> b) is there an internal way of doing this instead of
> one of the above
> databases?
>
> c) will the standalone app then incorporate the
> database functions, or
> will the enduser be required to have the database in
> question installed
> on their computer as well?
>
> Sorry if this duplicates, I inadvertently used a
> wrong email address
> the first time, adn do not know if it will get
> through the moderator
> that way. Thank you much...
>

> Sincerely,
>

> John R. Brauer, Psy.D.
> Clinical Psychologist

Hi John,

600 fields in a single record ? That would have killed
off FoxPro as a database engine -- are you sure it
wouldn't be better to rearrange the tabledesign a bit
?
Be that as it may, you are definitely not without
options regarding hooking Revolution up to databases.

If your target platforms are Windows and Mac (and
_NOT_ Linux or another Unix variant), and you don't
need multi-user access, Valentina is an excellent
choice, as it doesn't require the setup of a database
server.
And if you need multi-user capabilities, Valentina
will be available in a client-server flavour pretty
soon.

There is also a native option, in the form of SDB --
Serendipity Database Binary ; written completely in
Transcript, it takes care of storing and retrieving
the data in an efficient way, cross-platform.
Hopefully Rob Cozens' website is up and running again
soon so you can have a look at it.

As Pierre sugegsted, MySQL and PostgreSQL are great,
cheap aternatives ; though some may find setting up
and administrating these database servers an
intimidating thought.
And lest we forget, ODBC opens up quite a bit more
data storage options : Access, FileMaker,...

Hope this helped you make the right choice,

Jan Schenkel.

=====