More Unicode woes (solved)

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at east.uio.no
Fri Aug 1 15:49:01 EDT 2003

At 12:02 -0400 05-07-03, Kjetil Rå Hauge <k.r.hauge at east.uio.no> wrote:
>  >From: Toma Tasovac <ttasovac at Princeton.EDU>
>>[...]
>
>>try this:
>>
>>put the unicodeText of fld "text" into tText
>>put uniDecode (tText,"utf8") into url "file:mysavedtext.txt"
>>
>>it works for me -- at least with cyrillic.  opens correctly in bbedit
>>if you tell bbedit to open it as utf8, but not if you try to open it
>>with auto-detect.
>
>Thanks a lot, this did the trick - at least with Cyrillic, Greek and
>Turkish. I hope that RunRev will add this to the "recipe" collection
>in their documentation. CE fonts, however, still are interpreted as
>latin-1.

I have now found out how to have RR handle CE fonts (on the Mac, OS
X): the trick is not to use Monaco CE or any of the other CE fonts,
but to use Lucida Grande (or any other Unicode font, presumably) and
enter CE characters from the Unicode character palette. This way,
Toma Tasovac' code above worked fine.

This is of course not an alternative when entering large amounts of
text, but it is easy to make a Unicode character layout for CE
characters with the keyboard generator at
<http://wordherd.com/keyboards/>.

So that settles it - I have put in an order for RR Studio and will
migrate my project from HyperCard. It would still be nice to have RR
handle CE entered with the built-in CE keyboard layouts, similar to
the way Cyrillic is converted to Unicode when entered from a keyboard
layout belonging to the Cyrillic script.
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Tel. +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
--- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)