dateItems

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Fri Aug 1 07:17:00 EDT 2003

Dear Dan,

I'm only a newbie here, but I'm quite glad that I *think* I can shed
some light on your question:

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 06:13  PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> I have run across a bit of an anomaly. The dateItems format is not
> documented anywhere in the Rev docs as far as I can tell but it does
> seem to work almost exactly as expected.
>
> It returns a comma-delimited list of seven items alright, but if I
> don't supply a time with the value being converted, rather than
> providing 0,0,0 for the hour, minutes, and seconds, it puts a value in
> the hours. In my case, it was 2. I don't know for sure where that came
> from; it was only 1:05 a.m. when I tried this.
>
> So is this a bug or a modification of HyperTalk behavior I need to
> know about?

Quoting directly from the documentation - have a look at the
description of the CONVERT command:

"Note:  If you convert a date without a time to a form that includes
the time, the time will be given as 2 AM. (This is the default time
because it is the time of day when Daylight Savings Time begins and
ends.)"

I hope this helps!

I have found the 'convert' command quite limiting, because it can only
convert dates that the host system can handle (ie, in MacOS X it can
handle dates only as far back as 1901, and in Windows, supposedly, only
up to 1970). I put a bug report about it on the bug database (Bug #
182), but received a message stating that this is basically the way it
is supposed to work - even though that is not stated in the
documentation...

Regards,

--
Igor